Poetry gets slammed

by Erin Shea

Wanted: Students who are willing to open up with their peers through poetry. No experience necessary.

The Cat’s Den is hosting a Poetry Slam on Tuesday night at 7.

“You don’t have to be Emily Dickinson to participate,” Jessica Nunn, Cat’s Den events co-coordinator and art studio freshman Jessica Nunn. “We want people to know that you don’t have to be able to write poetry; you just have to love what you do and want to share it with the world.”

Since this is the last Poetry Slam of the year, the Cat’s Den expects around 20 students on Tuesday. At previous events, usually around 10 students share one or more poems with the audience. The event coordinators said they would like to see more students read poems, and to not worry if they are first timers.

“I would tell a first-time reader to focus on how they felt while writing the poem,” Corey Kirby, Cat’s Den event co-coordinator and social work junior. “And to not worry about the public speaking part of it, just to focus on the emotion of the poem.”

Nervous about spilling your words and feelings to an audience? Don’t be. Unlike other events at the Cat’s Den, the Poetry Slam is one that allows students to creatively express themselves in front of a supportive group of student poets.

And if you don’t feel comfortable sharing, you’ll still be able to listen to others and possibly meet some new people.

“Whether you read or watch, it’s still nice to go because it lets you know you’re not alone and you’re not the only one with those emotions,” Nunn said. “Poetry is a powerful connector between people, even if you don’t know someone.”

All kinds of poetry are allowed, no matter how short or how long. At previous Poetry Slams, students have read anything between a short Haiku and a three-page piece.

However, Nunn explained one factor that must be included.

“We welcome any kind of poetry, as long as you put your heart into it.”