Fraternities added to UK campus

The fraternity side of Greek life at UK saw some changes over the summer.

Sigma Phi Epsilon, which was suspended from campus in 2009, returns to campus this fall.

Sig Ep did not go through recruitment two weeks ago with the other fraternities, said Susan West, assistant dean of students and director of fraternity and sorority affairs. But the fraternity has two men from its national headquarters interviewing men for the chapter.

UK’s Interfraternity Council is trying to expand the number of fraternities on campus, said JR Leach, IFC vice president of public relations.

The additions of Beta Theta Pi in fall 2010 and Theta Chi in spring 2011 to campus were part of the IFC’s expansion policy, Leach said.

He said UK should want to expand the number of fraternities on campus for four reasons.

First, Greeks have higher GPAs than non-Greeks. Second, Greek organizations have higher numbers of community service time per member than other organizations do. Third, Greeks have higher retention rates than other students, and fourth, Greeks tend to hold more leadership positions on campus.

Robert Mock, vice president for student affairs, said the wish to add more Greek organizations to campus also stems from a financial perspective for the university. He said according to the UK Office of Development, Greek alumni give more money donations to UK than non-Greeks.

Leach said the additions of more fraternities to campus also allows the men on campus more of an opportunity to find the group that best fits their personalities.

“Every fraternity offers something different,” Leach said. “No fraternity is the same.”