UK baseball defeats Marshall 7-3

By Dan Collins

Marshall University was unable to derail the Cats at Cliff Hagan Stadium Wednesday evening.

Sophomore Matt Reida led UK with a career-high 3-for-4 performance, including an RBI double.

Freshman pitcher A.J. Reed went 2-0, with seven strike-outs in the first five innings.

UK shut Marshall down in the first inning, allowing no hits, with the Cats at bat.

Marshall made its first of ten pitching changes after its pitcher Joe McGillicuddy gave up a single and walked two batters to load the bases.

Freshman J.T. Riddle brought in freshman Austin Cousino off a lob to right field, earning the Cats a 1-0 lead.

Marshall gained the upper-hand by scoring two runs in the second inning, however senior Thomas McCarthy responded in the bottom of the third with a scorching double deep to left field, bringing in two runners.

UK allowed Marshall to score one more run in the eighth inning, but continued to cross home plate before a herd of pitchers, securing a 7-3 victory in the top of the ninth.

The Cats were pleased with their pitching performance.

“The bullpen has been doing an unbelievable job,” Reida said.

UK’s four pitchers racked up 11 strike-outs against Marshall, who only accumulated six hits all evening.

“They’re coming in throwing strikes,” head coach Gary Henderson said.

Henderson also commented on redshirt sophomore Micheal Thomas, who had a 1-for-2 performance with one RBI and three runs in his first start at UK.

“I’m really proud of him,” Henderson said.

The undefeated UK baseball team will host Canisius College this weekend. The first game is Friday, 4 p.m. at Cliff Hagan Stadium.