UK baseball continues undefeated streak

By Dan Collins

The UK baseball team earned its twelfth victory Tuesday evening at Cliff Hagan stadium.

The Cats defeated Tennessee Tech 9-6, maintaining their undefeated status.

After two scoreless innings, Tennessee Tech earned a run in the top of the third. UK would finish the inning without a response.

Tennessee Tech put two more runs on the board in the top of the third, bringing its lead to 3-0 until junior Cameron Flynn drove in sophomore J.T. Riddle off a double.

UK tied the game 3-3 in the bottom of the fifth with runs scored by freshman Austin Cousino and junior Zac Zellers.  Zeller’s run earned freshman A.J. Reed his eighteenth RBI of the season, the most in the league.

The game would remain tied until the seventh inning. With a runner on first, UK intentionally walked Tennessee Tech sophomore Zach Stephens, putting runners on first and second for on-deck junior Evan Frazier.  UK then decided to replace freshman pitcher Chandler Shepherd with freshman Andrew Bryant.

Bryant threw to Frazier, who hit a homerun over right field driving in both runners, earning a 6-3 lead over the Cats.

Tennessee Tech’s lead would not last, however, as UK answered in the bottom of the inning by scoring six runs, securing a 9-6.

UK shut down Tennessee Tech for the remainder of the game, putting one more run on the board in the eighth inning.

“We find ways to win,” junior Luke Maile said after the game.  “We don’t stop believing that we’re going to win until we’re in the locker-room.”

Head coach Gary Henderson was also pleased with his team’s victory.

“We play with a lot of confidence,” Henderson said.

The UK baseball team hopes to continue its winning streak as it hosts Marshall Wednesday at 4 p.m. at Cliff Hagan Stadium.