Arboretum, Johnson Center provide ways to stay active

By Hollie Wallace

Summer is the season of relaxation, recreation and entertainment.

During this time of the year, many UK students elect to stay in Lexington to take classes, find jobs or simply as an excuse to avoid going home.

Whatever the situation, finding ways to stay active and engaged can sometimes be challenging.

However, there are numerous ways to stay active in Lexington and on campus during the summer.

One opportunity students have is to spend their afternoons at the Arboretum, which is 100-acres of botanical gardens with walking paths. It is located on Alumni Drive right behind Commonwealth Stadium.

The gardens and paths are open year-round from dawn to dusk no matter the weather.

Emma Trester-Wilson, an employee at the Arboretum, said the most common age group varies.

“We see babies in strollers all the way up to their grandparents,” she said.

The main walking and fitness path is two miles long.

“With admission into the Arboretum being free, there is no better way to spend a beautiful day outside enjoying Mother Nature while getting exercise and being active,” said Arboretum veteran Julie Collette.

An alternative to the Arboretum is the Johnson Center, located on the south campus of the university. It is open during the summer months.

The fitness class schedule is posted on its website.

The Johnson Center offers numerous types of fitness classes. Outdoor boot camp is being offered in the summer four-week session outside the fitness studio in rain or shine, on Monday evenings and Friday mornings.

Cathy Rose, facilities director for the JC, said there will be another group fitness schedule posted online after June 3 for the eight-week summer session.