Junior Panhellenic treated campus with fall concert

By Jackson Smith

A small concert rocked South Campus Sunday for Rocktober Fest, sponsored by the Junior Panhellenic.

Chelsea Killman created the social event to connect Greek and non-Greek students through music.

Junior Panhellenic had 26 women help with the event by either handing out popcorn, apple cider, candy, music or caramel apples. All of the performers were students.

“I thought it would be nice to give the students something nice to enjoy on a Sunday afternoon,” Killman said. “I am so glad that the weather was perfect for the event.”

Killman said there were about 200 students in attendance.

“I really like the environment and the fact that I’m getting the chance to connect with the UK community,” freshman Cameron Merrick said.

He said he came to support his pledge brother, Eric Torres, but was even happier when he received all the free food.

The singers and performers had a microphone in the grass with speakers and a stool to play from. The seating included hay bales to watch the artists perform.

“The hay bales are the coolest thing because I have never been to a concert that used hay bales as seats,” said freshman Austin Dunn.

There were five performers playing different genres of music. The performers were Eric Torres, Kalyn Bradford, Matt Robin, Cody Jenkins and the band C2.

“I was a little nervous because it was my first time performing solo,” Torres said.

He has been playing guitar since he was in the fifth grade. He played songs by Old Crow Medicine Show and Mumford and Sons.

“I am happy with how the students treated me after I was done (performing),” Torres said.

Junior John Butcher said his favorite part was playing cornhole and listening to Bradford sing her heart out.