Showcase offers information about regional, national grad-school options

By Jennifer Abreu

Students can explore options available to them after they receive an undergraduate degree at the Graduate and Professional School Showcase from noon to 4 p.m. Wednesday in the Student Center Grand Ballroom.

The yearly fall showcase is designed to give undergraduates information about graduate and professional school, including requirements and admission processes, financial aid and graduate exams.

More than 60 representatives from UK and other regional and national colleges will be present with information on programs such as law and medical school, physical therapy, education, business and others.

The first 100 students to check in will receive a free T-shirt, and everyone attending will be entered to win door prizes.

The showcase is not limited to current UK students. Alumni, people from the community and students from neighboring schools have also attended, said Kahlil Baker, a sophomore counselor at the Center for Academic Resources and Enrichment Services.

CARES, a part of the UK Office for Institutional Diversity, is one of the sponsors of the event.

The opportunity students have to participate in the Graduate and Professional School Showcase is important to their futures, Baker said.

In addition to the factual information students will receive at the showcase, they can also acquire personal experience, said Azetta Beatty, senior assistant director at the Stuckert Career Center.

“It’s a great opportunity for students to network with these representatives,” she said. “They can ask for any additional tips, such as things that make people a good candidate for a certain program … and other unique things that are better to ask a person and not simply read on a website.”

According to Baker, in past years, the showcase has welcomed about 400 people, with students from Berea College, Kentucky State and Morehead State.

In one survey completed after the event last year a student said, “It gave me a summer internship and jump-started my career.”

“A big part of what students need is planning and preparation for what comes next,” Baker said. “And help figuring out what’s next with their careers.”