UK to hold campus open house

By Morgan Eads | @KyKernel

Students, faculty and staff will be updated on the possible future of UK’s campus at an open house in the Student Center Thursday.

Well known UK buildings such as Funkhouser and Kirwan and Blanding towers were mentioned as possible structures to be done away with in the last open house hosted by Sasaki.

Judy Needham, UK facilities planner, said there have been updates on the fates of the historic buildings on UK’s campus, but that those interested would need to attend the open house to find out what they are.

There have been several open houses concerning the Master Plan so far, but the upcoming event will have a more firm outline of the campus’ future, Needham said.

“We are now at the stage of having a draft plan,” Needham said. “There will still be changes but there will be new information at this open house.”

The company charged with bringing together the Master Plan, Sasaki Associates Inc., has taken input from students, faculty, staff and community members in past open houses.

“Sasaki has been excellent incorporating input into the plans,” Needham said.

The process is further along now and the main objective of the most recent forum is to update the public.

“We’re looking to answer questions at this point,” Needham said. “But we are also still open for feedback.”

Whereas the previous open houses have featured numerous different options for campus, this open house will have draw-ups of a more exact plan.

“It’s mostly one solid plan, there are a couple of areas where we’ll be keeping our options open,” Needham said.

It is important for students to attend the open house and get a preview of the campus’ future, Needham said.

“(Students can) get an update on what the future of the campus will be,” Needham said.