Graduate Student Congress encourages communication, activities for members

By Cheyene Miller

Graduate students who want to voice suggestions or concerns in order to make their lives on campus easier can attend the Graduate Student Congress’ general meeting on Monday.

The purpose of GSC is to offer graduate students “a place where they can talk about issues related to their studies,” according to GSC Vice President Gabriela Jiskrova.

“We want to make sure that graduate students from various departments communicate with each other, because quite often they don’t have many opportunities (to communicate),” Jiskrova said.

The GSC receives funding from the Student Government Association, and is comprised of a board that receives input from student representatives from different departments. Jiskrova said that ideally all departments would be represented but the GSC has not reached that point yet.

The organization has several activities throughout the year including a dinner with UK President Eli Capilouto, workshops on improving professional skills, giving speeches at student orientations and the Three Minute Thesis.

This event is a research communication competition in which students must present their thesis and its significance in layman terms in three minutes.

The GSC meets once a month and at meetings the board speaks with student representatives about issues in their departments, as well as upcoming events and the budget.

The meeting is Monday at 5:30 p.m. in the Lucille Caudill Little Fine Arts Library room 302 and is open to all graduate students.