President announces mural will be uncovered, racial dialogue to continue

By Marjorie Kirk

Capilouto said that he appreciated the input of students and faculty on the matter of the mural and other initiatives they feel could improve racial representation and equal opportunity, namely citing the recent open letter written by core faculty of the African-American and Africana Studies programs.

“I appreciate the conversations occurring across our campus and the multitude of constructive suggestions we have received as we chart the path forward,” Capilouto said. “I am profoundly grateful to our students for their leadership and to the members of our faculty, whose recent open letter contains a thoughtful and thorough set of priorities for change and improvement.”

More than 100 faculty have signed the open letter to Capilouto asking for an open dialogue about the administrative changes made to campus to improve inclusivity and diversity, and to increase opportunities for education of the university community on matters of race and marginalization.

The mural  has gained the most traction and attention of the suggestions by students and faculty, but Capilouto said he welcomed more comments and suggestions about racial issues and initiatives to be sent to is email [email protected].

“The mural serves as an important fulcrum of conversation,” Capilouto said. “But it is certainly not the only — nor the most important — issue raised by our students, staff, and faculty as we hold ourselves accountable for the work we must do to build a better, more inclusive community.”