Health Services alerts campus amid string of illnesses

As of Friday evening, the UK Chandler Hospital has seen 15 cases of parotitis. Photo by Joel Repoley | Staff

News Staff

University Health Services sent a campus-wide email Thursday asking students, faculty and staff to seek medical attention if their salivary glands become swollen.

As of Friday evening, 15 cases of UK students with parotitis, or swollen salivary glands, have been reported by the UK Hospital.

Mindy Scott, director of nursing at University Health Service, said these are only the reported cases, but that more people could be affected.

“We’re not sure what’s causing it,” Scott said.

The swelling, caused by a virus, could be anything from the flu to mumps to mono, or another illness.

Scott said some of the patients have had a fever and sore throat, but some only have swelling.

“The biggest thing right now is to get tested,” Scott said.

She cautioned students to wash their hands, cough into their sleeves and to use hand sanitizer. If they are having symptoms, they should isolate themselves and call Student Health Services.

“Stay away from people who are sick,” Scott said.

Scott said the reports are an event of concern, but the university is working to get it resolved.

“We are working with the Kentucky Department of Health and the state epidemiologist,” Scott said.

Those concerned about parotitis or other swelling, can call 859-218-3261 or schedule an appointment with Student Health Services.