Donuts, bikes join forces for last day of Bike Week

Bike+Week

Bike Week

Aubrey Meiners

This Saturday, UK’s annual Bike Week will host a final event called the “Donut Tour on Two Wheels.” This event is an opportunity for students to meet new people, get some exercise and indulge in some of Lexington’s sweetest treats.

“I’m really excited to attend the event because the weather is going to be great, and donuts are my favorite food so it’s the best of both worlds,” UK junior Natalie Riney said.

Participants will pedal for the “Donut Tour on Two Wheels” from 9 a.m. to 10:30 a.m., enjoying a five mile bike ride around Lexington, stopping at four donut shops: Magee’s Bakery, Sunrise Bakery, North Lime Coffee and Donuts, and Wild Fig Books & Coffee. The bike ride is free, but students are responsible for purchasing their own donuts.

“I attended a few of the Bike Week activities last year and it was a lot of fun, so I’m excited to see what they have in store for us this year,” sophomore Margaret Gerwin said.

According to Parking and Transportation marketing specialist Chrissie Tune, this is the first time the Donut Tour on Two Wheels event is happening, but Bike Week is in its fourth year of existence in Lexington.

“This ride provides a unique way for students to see more of Lexington and learn about some local favorite donut spots,” Tune said.

The ride will leave from Wildcat Wheels at Blazer Hall. Bikes will be available to check out prior to the event at the Wildcat Wheels Library. Bikes can be checked out Monday through Thursday 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. and Friday 12 p.m. to 3 p.m.

Students interested in attending this event can sign up on the event Facebook page: “UK Bike Week-Donut Tour on Two Wheels.”