Cats’ offense shines in 14-1 exhibition win over Georgetown College

Kentucky freshman Abbey Cheek hits the ball during the Wildcat’s game against the Eastern Kentucky Colonels John Cropp Stadium on Wednesday, April 13, 2016 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Taylor Pence

Mohammad Ahmad

UK softball came out with a dominant performance in another fall ball exhibition, beating Georgetown College 14-1 in a 10-inning matchup.

The Cats got their offense going from the start of the game.

In the bottom of the first inning, infielder Alex Martens drove in shortstop Katie Reed to give the Cats a 1-0 lead.

From that point on until the next inning, the Cats looked the part of an offensive juggernaut. After Martens drove in one run, utility player Abbey Cheek hit a two-RBI double down the left field line to put the Cats up 3-0. Freshman infielder Morgan McCallum then put on display her offensive talent by hitting a two-run homer to put UK up 5-0.

An inning later, veteran infielder Brooklin Hinz hit a slapper into right field to drive in freshman catcher Bailey Vick. Three more runs were tallied on by the team as McCallum drove in two more with a single into right, and a hit-by-pitch on infielder Rachel Metzger brought Cheek home for another run.

Although the Cats would not score for another six innings, the team used that duration to their benefit on defense.

From the beginning of the game up until the top of the eighth, the Cats pitching staff and defense played outstandingly to shutout the Tigers. Starting pitcher Rachel Spellman pitched three inning with two strikeouts and gave up only a walk and two hits. The combined relief of Meagan Price, Ashley Ruiz, and Shannon Smith for the rest of the game gave up three hits and a walk that led to one earned run, but overshadowed that with nine strikeouts.

The Cats outfield caught pop outs in every outfield territory to prevent any offensive attacks from the Tigers lineup, and the infield made diving grabs play after play.

The offensive juggernaut was resurrected in the bottom of the eighth when Cheek scored again on a fielding error at third base. An inning later, Hinz drove in two runs on single two right field, and infielder Hannah Huffman hit a one RBI triple to center. In the next at-bat, reliever Ruiz drove Huffman home on a sacrifice fly.

Despite a poor performance against UK, the Tigers did have some highs. At the top of the the eighth, Georgetown designated player Hannah Morton hit a deep homer into center. On defense, center-fielder Katie Young robbed McCallum of another possible home run, and right-fielder Hannah Howes put of a strong defensive effort towards the end of the game.

UK softball looks to carry their momentum looking ahead towards the regular season. The team is hoping to return to the NCAA tournament this season with hopes set on a College World Series berth.