President Capilouto asks campus to embrace diversity post-election

President Eli Capilouto emailed campus with news that the university would be appealing decisions of the Attorney General. Among their appeals is a lawsuit against the Kernel, which requested records of the investigation into the sexual harassment claims against associate professor James Harwood. 

News Staff

President Eli Capilouto sent out an email to the UK community asking to embrace the diversity on campus after election.

Capilouto said in the email that he had been reflecting on the election results from Tuesday and wrote of the divisions seen across the country.

He said that while there are many things that unite us both on this campus and in the country, divisions still run deep.

“We must continue to strive to be a community where our embrace of diversity and expression welcomes everyone — of every race and religion, identity and perspective, and party and ideology,” Capilouto said in the email.

He asked the people of UK to work together in condemning discriminatory and aggressive behavior towards, and asked for a welcoming environment that focused on a sense of belonging for everyone.

Capilouto provided information to campus resources for anyone who felt an impact from dehumanizing behaviors and to those who wish to change the dialogue on campus. Some of the resources included were the Bias Incident Support Services and UK’s Violence Intervention and Prevention Center.