Rally protests immigrant ban

By Kelsey Mattingly

The Islamic Society of Central America sponsored a peaceful protest on Sunday afternoon following President Donald Trump’s temporary ban on immigration that targeted seven Muslim-majority countries.

A group of nine Muslim students, led by Tates Creek High School student Bayan Megariaf, organized the rally held at Fayette County Courthouse.

“We just want people to know that without immigrants, this country is nothing,” Megariaf said.

Per the United States Census Bureau, from 2011-2015, 8.8 percent of Fayette County residents were “foreign-born persons.” The Council on American Islamic Relations, a supporter of the event, is relaunching their Kentucky chapter in Lexington.

The Muslim Student Association at UK supported the event along with UK students, alumni and faculty. UK Islamic Studies professor Dr. Ihsan Bagby was one of several guest speakers.

“We are unhappy, something is going wrong in our society because we are not living up to the ideals of America,” Bagby said. “What is happening in America today is not an example of justice.”

The 10 speakers ranged from Kentucky Secretary of State Alison Lundergan Grimes to Rosine Yanyi, a refugee from the Democratic Republic of Congo. Each of the 10 spurred the crowd into chants of “Love trumps hate” and “No hate, no fear, refugees are welcome here.”

The crowd was made up of protestors from different ages, races, genders, religions and areas of the Commonwealth.

“The hope is that the Congress people will respect their constituents’ wishes and know that us as Americans welcome immigrants and that discriminating against them isn’t okay,” Eastern Kentucky University Globalism and International Relations junior Ivan Cornelius said.

Following the rally, the coordinators urged supporters to call the White House and not be complacent.

“This ban is illegal, inhuman and un-American. We wanted Lexington to unite against this injustice,” said Megariaf.