Let’s dance

Alan Wood

For students wishing to do prom right, Underground Perspective, partnered with the Martin Luther King Center, the Student Activities Board and the Office of LGTBQ Resources to host their second annual Underground Formal on Friday, March 3 from 8 p.m. to 11 p.m. in the Woodford Reserve Club of Commonwealth Stadium.

“College is about school, but college is also about the experience. You want to create memories, you do not want to be the person who heard about every event going on,” said Underground Perspective President sophomore Kennedy Mann. “It is just something besides the books and your average things that you can look forward to.”

The event is free and open to anybody as long as they are a UK student. Every student will be allowed to bring one guest, as long as they have an ID on them, according to SAB Director of Traditions, freshman Nickie Cashdollar.

The night will feature DJ Warren Peace, along with activities such as photo booths, backdrops for pictures, unlimited non-alcoholic drinks and dancing, according to Cashdollar.

Last year’s Underground Formal saw just under 500 students in attendance, with anywhere from 500 to 600 students expected this year, according to Cashdollar. After last year’s success, students called for the formal to become an annual tradition.

Attendees are not expected to buy new outfits or wear formal clothing, although fashionable dress is optional.

“We do not turn anybody away because of what they are wearing. But it is an opportunity to ‘dress to the nines’ if you are interested,” said Cashdollar.

Transportation will be available via bus for students at the wildcat statue on Avenue of Champions, as well as at the loop at the William T. Young Library.

Students can enter the formal through gates 10 and 11 at Commonwealth Stadium. Guides will escort people to the second floor for a night of fun.