Kentucky Broadcasters Association awards Barfield Scholarships

Photo provided by Brady Trapnell

Sarah Ladd

The Kentucky Broadcast Association has awarded $20,000 in scholarships this year to deserving students.

Two UK students recently received the Barfield Scholarship, named in honor of Harry Barfield, the late president and chairman of WLEX-TV in Lexington. The students will receive $2,500 for the 2017-18 academic year.

In order to be chosen for this award, students must be highly involved academically, have the support and recommendation of faculty members, and be involved in extracurricular activities. If the students maintain the criteria, the award may be renewable for a second year.

“The KBA is proud to be able to help these talented students pursue their higher education,” Henry Lackey, president and CEO of KBA, said. “Many of these recipients have gone on to successful careers in broadcasting and other related communications fields.”

Brady Trapnell, a junior Broadcast Journalism student and former Governors Scholar in high school, was one of the two recent Barfield Scholarship recipients.

Trapnell credits this distinct honor to the professors in his life who have supported him and helped him find quality internships.  

“I feel blessed,” Trapnell said. “I never would’ve expected to receive this scholarship. It is extremely gratifying to be awarded for your hard work and dedication to pursuing a career in journalism. I couldn’t be more thankful.” 

Trapnell says this scholarship will open up doors for him to study abroad, graduate college with no loans, and focus on much needed internships.

“When I was Governors Scholar during the summer of my junior year of high school, I met UK Professor Mel Coffee in my journalism class there. He was influential in getting me to the University of Kentucky and he spoke well of the journalism program here,” Trapnell said. “Without this scholarship, so many of the experiences I’ve had would be a lot more difficult to accomplish. I am thankful and blessed that the KBA decided to support me in achieving them.” 

Trapnell is a current intern at Titans Radio in Nashville, Tennessee and hopes for a future career in sports journalism.

Ethan Fedele, a digital media and design student in the College of Fine Arts, received a Barfield Scholarship as well. Both students will receive $2,500 for the 2017-18 academic year.