Workshop gives students resume tips

Alex Brinkhorst

Two recruiters from Robert Half Technology helped students brush up on their resumes in preparation for upcoming job fairs.

Recruiting Manager Katie Wright and Technical Recruiter Paige Sutton led an hour-long workshop to help students. The workshop was hosted by the College of Communication and Information. Robert Half is a professional staffing service.

Wright had advice specific to students who are going into technology-based work. She said the resumes should start with contact information, followed by the technology and programs the application is familiar with. The resume should include links to some of the applicants’ projects.

“Tailor your resume to your strengths,” Wright said.

Wright and Sutton discussed the importance of cleaning up social media accounts to seem more professional, particularly for communication and technology-based jobs.

The pair also discussed salaries and how to approach the negotiations. They provided 2018 salary guides from Robert Half, which gave listings of salaries for technology-based jobs with a set of percentiles. The entry level salaries are at the 50th percentile, they said.

“Come in high, know your bottom, settle for the middle,” Wright said.

Wright presented several useful tools for those searching for jobs and for applicants who want to increase their skills. These tools included Treehouse, a website that provides courses on programming that is free through the Louisville Public Library, and Meetup.com, a website that brings people interested in the same things together.

Wright had one last tip after the workshop: “Have follow up questions, and do your research, and know your worth.”