UK begins efforts to help Wildcats from Houston

Merchandise, textiles and apparel senior, Lauren Winkler’s family home in Houston, Texas sustained considerable damage and flooding due to hurricane Harvey. 

Bailey Vandiver

Lexington and Houston may be separated by 990 miles, but UK is still finding ways to help Texans in need.

UK President Eli Capilouto sent a campus-wide email on Tuesday with details on how to help UK students who call Houston home.

“At the University of Kentucky, we put our students at the center of everything we do,” Capilouto wrote. “And that means working to support our students when tragedy occurs.”

The administration recently established an Emergency Assistance and Relief Fund that accepts donations to support UK students affected by tragedy.

While this fund is focused now on helping approximately 70 UK students from Houston and nearby areas, it will not be limited to Hurricane Harvey.

This program is the first of its kind, according to UK Personal Relations Executive Director Jay Blanton.

“We hope this will be a permanent fund that can be used to help with temporary relief in catastrophic incidents,” Blanton said.

In the future, donations to this fund could also be used for students who want to participate in service projects like an alternative spring break, or for contributing to solving other issues, such as hunger and temporary homelessness. 

The site is already set up to take contributions, and Blanton said there are plans for another site where students can request assistance.

Merchandising, apparel and textiles senior Lauren Winkler is one of many UK students from the Houston area.

Winkler grew up in Maryland, but she and her family lived in Chattanooga when she decided to attend UK.

A new job for her dad moved the family to Houston three years ago. 

Winkler’s family and dog are safe, she said.

“When the water started coming in, they called for help but no one was able to get to them until there was over four feet of standing water covering the entire first floor,” Winkler said.

The flooding ruined everything on the first floor, which is currently gutted and drying out. The total cost for the demolition and rebuilding will be about $130,000.

“Everyone in our neighborhood is in the same situation,” Winkler said.

Winkler said she doubts she’s the only one who feels guilty being away at college while family back home deals with the devastation.

“I’ve never felt more helpless seeing everything on the news and my own home underwater,” Winkler said.

The donations pouring in to help Houston are amazing, Winkler said.

Winkler said she will return to Houston after she graduates in December. But her first visit back will be in a few weeks, “to be put to work by my parents and neighbors.”