Late goal lifts Missouri over the Cats

Kentucky freshman midfielder Miranda Jimenez battles for the ball during the game against Missouri on Thursday, October 12, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. The Cats were defeated 2 to 1. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Abbie Long

UK women’s soccer came back home to the Bell on Thursday night to face the Missouri Tigers to kick off a two home game weekend in Lexington. The Tigers were 5-0 against the Cats coming into this match, and UK would not snap the streak as they fall to Missouri 2-1.

The Cats were looking to improve their current record and standing within the SEC to secure their spot in the SEC Tournament that will commence in late October.

Only the top 10 teams out of 14 make it into the tournament and UK is sitting at number nine on that list. Missouri is sitting at No. 12 as they entered Thursday night’s game with a 1-5 SEC record.

The first goal of the game came from Missouri’s sophomore forward Sarah Luebbert in the 27th minute. The goal was assisted by senior midfielder/forward Jessica Johnson and senior forward Savannah Trujillo. This was Luebbert’s fifth goal of the season.

UK’s offense was showing life but the shots were just not falling. Late in the first half freshman forward Eva Mitchell took a promising shot that ended up being saved by Missouri’s senior goalkeeper Kristen Rivers.

The score was 1-0 in favor of Missouri at the end of the first half.

Some signs of life came from UK’s offense in the 53rd minute as freshman forward Miranda Jimenez scored her third goal of the season evening the score at 1-1. The goal was unassisted.

This is the second game in a row that Jimenez has crucially come to the rescue for the Cats. She scored the winning goal this past Sunday in the UK victory at Mississippi State.

But the Tigers rallied back and regained the lead in the 83rd minute after a goal from Johnson, making the final score 2-1.

UK will back in action at the Bell on Sunday afternoon for Senior Day as they host Loyola-Chicago. The game is set to start at 2 p.m.