Capilouto to present at University Senate meeting; watch via livestream

UK’s president will address the University Senate about the future of the university during Monday’s meeting.

On the agenda for the Oct. 30 meeting is a presentation by President Eli Capilouto called “University of Kentucky: Current Status and Future Direction.”

Student Government Association President Ben Childress said he believes this will be part of “an ongoing conversation about the future of higher education, the ‘disruptions’ that face higher education, and how the university will respond to them.”

He said examples of disruptions to higher education are the increase in online learning, the decrease in state support, the changing demographics of university students and the need to educate and train non-traditional students.

Childress said that those issues were discussed at the Board of Trustees retreat last week. He is not aware of exactly what the president will discuss, however.

“I think that now the president wants to extend this conversation to the entire campus,” Childress said. 

This is the University Senate’s third meeting of the fiscal year. The meeting lasts from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in the William T. Young Library Athletics Association Auditorium. 

The Senate Council voted to livestream the meeting, so those who cannot attend can watch it here.

A question and answer session with the senators will follow Capilouto’s presentation. Nothing else is listed on the agenda.