UK women’s soccer comes up short in last home game of the season

Sophomore midfielder Gina Crosetti hustles after the ball during the game against the University of Arkansas on Sunday, October 22, 2017 in Lexington, Ky. The cats lost 2 to 0. Photo by Kaitlyn Gumm| Staff

Abbie Long

UK women’s soccer hosted the Arkansas Razorbacks on Sunday afternoon for their last home game of the season.

With only two regular season games left on the schedule, the Wildcats were desperately searching for a win after a disappointing loss to Florida on Thursday night. 

But UK would not get the win against the Razorbacks, extending their losing streak to four games in a row.

Arkansas entered the Bell with an 8-8-1 overall record and a 3-4 SEC record and they were coming off a 1-0 loss to Alabama on Thursday night. The Razorbacks are sitting in the No. 7 spot in the current SEC standings. 

There was no sign of freshman midfielder Holly Olding, junior defender Payton Atkins or sophomore goalkeeper Evangeline Soucie in the starting line-up for the Cats, so some adjustments had to be made. 

Atkins would eventually enter the game late in the first half for the first time since injuring her shoulder against Loyola-Chicago on Oct. 15. 

Freshman Abigail Zoeller would be in the goalie box for UK during this match. 

The Razorbacks scored first in the 16th minute off a header from senior defender Jessi Hartzler. Arkansas scored again just a few seconds later in the same fashion by freshman midfielder Abbi Neece. 

Both goals came from corner kicks from freshman forward Parker Goins and the score was 2-0 Arkansas by the 18th minute in the first half with the Cats showing really no major threats to score. 

The score would remain 2-0 going into halftime. 

Not long into the first half the clocked was stopped for nearly 25 minutes due to an Arkansas injury to redshirt sophomore defender Elizabeth Poblete. The referees allotted a five minute warm-up period to both teams and the game would resume at the 56th minute.

No one knew how either teams would react after being inactive for almost a half an hour, but the Cats were looking to jump-start some sort of offensive success.

By the 60th minute, UK had zero shots on goal but they did have two corner kicks.

Neither team would score in the second half making the final score 2-0 in favor of the Razorbacks.

Although injuries amongst multiple players on the team Zoeller said that she, along with the rest of the girls on the team, are willing to do whatever it takes to help this team.

“It definitely teaches how to deal with adversity. It is hard. But we are willing to do whatever we need to do to help build this team,” Zoeller said.

UK will end their regular season play in Athens, Georgia, for a Thursday match up against the Bulldogs. The game is set to start at 7 p.m.