UK women’s soccer falls at home on Senior Day

The Cats celebrated their senior night during the game against Loyola-Chicago on Sunday October 15, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky was defeated 5 to 2. Photo by Olivia Beach | Staff

Abbie Long

With only two more home games left on the UK women’s soccer schedule, the Cats hosted a 10-5 Loyola-Chicago Ramblers team on Sunday afternoon for their last non-conference match of the 2017 season, but the Cats lost to Loyola-Chicago 5-2.

Despite the rain that was lingering in the forecast around the Bell, the sun decided to make an appearance before the pre-game activities that honored the two seniors on UK’s roster for Senior Day, midfielder Katy Keen and defensive player Kelly Novak.

The Cats were without starting goalkeeper Evangeline Soucie during this match due to a concussion that she suffered from during the last two minutes of Thursday night’s match against Missouri.

Instead junior forward Sophie Babo was in the goalie box for this match.

Loyola-Chicago struck first in the eighth minute with a goal of a corner kick from junior defensive player Taylor Lambouris, quickly making the score 1-0.

However, the Cats did not keep quiet for long. Freshman midfielder Yuuka Kurosaki scored in the 27th minute to even the score at 1-1. This was Kurosaki’s second goal of the season.

Not even two and half minutes later sophomore midfielder/forward Aleksa Tataryn put the Ramblers back on top 2-1 with a shot in the 30th minute.

In the 33rd minute senior forward Katie Grall scored an unassisted goal that quickly made the score 3-1 in favor of the Ramblers.

A goalkeeper substitution came for UK in the 39th minute, as freshman Abigail Zoeller came in to protect the net, but Zoeller would be scored on in the 42nd minute with another shot from Grall.

The score at the end of the first half was 4-1.

UK desperately needed to see some sort of production on both sides of the ball, but the start of the second half wasn’t looking any better for the Cats.

Loyola-Chicago made the score 5-1 in the 62nd minute with a goal from senior forward/midfielder Avalon Senn-Raemont.

UK’s sophomore forward Foster Ignoffo tried to ignite the Cats offense with a scored goal in the 69th minute making the score 5-2, but that was all she wrote for this match.

Ignoffo said that this disappointing match isn’t going to keep them down for the games to come.

“We’re going to all be fighting and going hard in practice and for each other,” Ignoffo said. “It’s very disappointing the result we got for our seniors tonight, but we are just going to get after it, do all we can and make it to our goal which is Orange Beach.”

This loss moves the Cats to 7-10 overall but they are still sitting in the No. 9 spot in the SEC, which puts them in the SEC Tournament in Orange Beach for the time being.

The Cats will hit the road for a crucial Thursday night SEC showdown in Gainesville against the Florida Gators. The game is set to start at 6 p.m.