Underground UK goes to The Cats Den

Megan Brown

Finding recreational activities to do on campus and around Lexington on a shoe-string budget is no small task. The saying “If it’s free, it’s for me” reigns true with almost every college student who doesn’t want to sacrifice fun simply because of the cost. Not only does The Cats Den Underground offer students a retreat away from the stresses of classes and everyday life with free events, they also provide a hub to play games, try new things and meet people.

Besides being a dining hall, the basement of Blazer has a facility where students can play billiards and table tennis while enjoying free popcorn from the snack bar. Students can also participate in any of the 40 events The Cats Den Underground is hosting throughout the semester. With events ranging from DIY pottery, to comedy shows and game nights, the wide variety allows students to try new things while still being able to participate in some of their hobbies.

Additionally, The Cats Den hosts seasonal events to get students spirited for the upcoming holidays. For example, on Oct. 24, they are having a pumpkin carving where students can carve or paint pumpkins in preparation for Halloween and on Nov. 28 students can decorate gingerbread men.

There are also recurring events that happen throughout the semester, one of which is the Comedy Cavern. As a part of this program, comedians from well-known shows such as “Last Comic Standing” and “Comedy Knockout” come once a week to entertain students. The comedian is different every week and hilarity is bound to ensue when they leave students laughing all night long.

The Cats Den Underground also hosts game tournaments and nights. In October there were will be a table tennis tournament and a BINGO night. Other popular events such as Trivia Night will return each month as well where students can come in teams or individually. Along with free admission to all of the events, programs usually have prizes and giveaways at almost every event.

Some other upcoming events include a magician, concert and rap battle.

In addition, there will be more events geared toward art and creativity throughout the semester. The Cats Den Underground is open seven days a week on Monday through Friday from 9 a.m. to 10 p.m. and on Saturday and Sunday from 12 to 10 p.m. A full list of events can be found on their website at https://www.uky.edu/studentcenter/catsden or on their Twitter, Facebook and Instagram page.

Instead of staying in your dorm room and missing out, head underground to The Cats Den to enhance your college experience, participate in free stress relieving activities and meet people who could turn out to be lifelong friends.