UK students do Thanksgiving differently

Junior Michelle Knezovic’s family helps deliver meals to underprivileged families with Meals on Wheels through the Salvation Army every Thanksgiving. 

Michael Ayers

Thanksgiving break is right around the corner. Many students will travel back home and receive questions about politics, or when they’re getting a job, and maybe if they’re dating someone.

But some families may leave their UK student in a different state, like the family of Anna Von Schmeling.

Schmeling’s family is going to Florida to visit her step-family for Thanksgiving.

“I would have to drive six hours to Atlanta, nine hours to the beach and then 15 hours back to Lexington just to eat Thanksgiving dinner,” she said.

To avoid all of that driving, Schmeling decided to go home to Atlanta and enjoy Thanksgiving with her grandparents.

Schmeling isn’t too sad though—she has plans to visit her favorite local restaurants, shop and catch the Georgia versus Georgia Tech football game.

Junior Michelle Knezovic is planning to join her family for a 15-year tradition of giving back.

“Every Thanksgiving, we deliver meals to underprivileged families through a program called ‘Meals on Wheels’ through the Salvation Army,” Knezovic said.

Knezovic said the relationships are one of the coolest parts. She said many of the people they serve remember their names and are extremely thankful for their service.

Then there are students who are moving into unfamiliar territory for Thanksgiving.

Senior Taylor Humphrey is moving into a brand new home. Her family moved from Winchester, Kentucky, to near New Smyrna Beach, Florida.

“I haven’t seen the house but my family is there now,” she said.

Humphrey isn’t thrilled about being far away from her hometown friends, but she said the beach and nice weather will make up for it.

Students will return to campus for class on Nov. 27, hopefully full of turkey and thankfulness.