Campus Troubadours offer a new soundtrack for campus life

Enrique Sandoval plays a guitar as a member of the Campus Troubadours at the 90 on UK’s campus on Wednesday, November 29, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Jillian Lowe

Ever wish you could have a soundtrack playing behind your day-to-day activities?

Now that the UK Campus Troubadours have begun playing around campus, you can walk into The 90 or get a cup of coffee with melodious sounds in the background.

The group is a collaborative effort between the Department of Music and the Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment. The Campus Troubadour project was founded by Rebecca McCulley and Alicia Landon of the Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment. The UK Guitar Studio from the College of Fine Arts was also involved in the founding.

The group consists of six musicians: Mario Ortiz, Enrique Sandoval-Cisternos, Ashley Nalley, Andrew Wilder, Tyler Garrett Stark, and Hermelindo Ruiz.

The group travels around campus, playing only classical guitars. Fall 2017 is its first semester as an organization.

“It began this fall as an experimental program intended to aid in stress reduction and relaxation for students, staff and faculty by making a positive contribution to the ambient campus soundscape,” Landon said.

The students can coordinate their own schedules, but each performs an average of between one and three hours per week. The members play once a week in different locations all around campus.

Although the program is currently limited to the six members who were selected by their director Dieter Henning, there is a possibility that more will be included in the project in the future.

Wilder, who is a graduate student, explained the selection of the members.

“The six members were selected based on their outstanding ability and on their course of study,” he said. “These members were selected at the beginning of the project, earlier this semester.”

The Tracy Farmer Institute for Sustainability and the Environment, which is under the UK Office of the Vice President for Research, helps provides financial support for start-up costs, supplies, administrative support, student scholarships and work study funds.