Diallo captures UK’s first SEC weekly honor

Kentucky red-shirt freshman guard Hamidou Diallo celebrates a three-pointer during the game against Virginia Tech on Saturday, December 16, 2017 in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 93-86. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Kernel Sports Staff

The SEC office announced on Monday that guard Hamidou Diallo was named the SEC Freshman of the Week. 

Diallo is the first Kentucky basketball player this season to win a weekly honor from the SEC office. This is also the first time in Diallo’s career that the freshman has received a weekly honor from the SEC. 

The honor comes after a week in which Diallo put up 20 points, five rebounds, two assists and three steals in Kentucky’s win over Virginia Tech. Diallo also hit a career-high four three-pointers in the game, including one with 50 seconds left that added some cushion to Kentucky’s lead.

Recap: UK defeats Virginia Tech 93-86

The win over Virginia Tech propelled Kentucky to the No. 7 spot in the latest release of the AP Poll released earlier on Monday. That’s one spot higher than what the Cats were ranked in the previous poll. 

The Cats will attempt to keep their momentum going on Dec. 23 when they’ll face UCLA in New Orleans for the CBS Sport Classic.