Clothing drive to help Wildcat Wardrobe stock up ends Feb. 24

A UK student picks up business attire from Wildcat Wardrobe. Photo provided by UK Human Resources. 

Amanda Bryant

Thanks to a clothing drive organized by the Off-Campus Student Association, students in need of business attire will benefit from increased resources at the Wildcat Wardrobe.

The clothing drive is in partnership with UK Human Resources, according to Off-Campus Student Association programming chair Rachel Kreppert. Donations are being accepted through Feb. 24.

The Off-Campus Student Association helps the 23,000 students who live off campus to connect with UK and the Lexington community, Kreppert said.

“We chose to partner with HR because we wanted our association students to build connections with UK employees that they may not have contact with on a regular basis,” Kreppert said.

The Wildcat Wardrobe is a student-led professional clothing service sponsored by UK SGA. It carries business essentials such as whole suits, blazers, pants, skirts, shoes, ties and dress socks for all genders and sizes. The clothes are mostly acquired through donations, and the aim is to alleviate the burden of purchasing new clothing.

“The Wildcat Wardrobe has been able to help an estimated 40 students since last fall,” said Sierra Hatfield, SGA Director of Campus Services. “We have seen an increase in the number of students visiting the Wardrobe since it opened last year.”

Hatfield said Wildcat Wardrobe does not always get enough donations to maintain a “diverse inventory for students of all shapes, sizes and needs.”

“We encourage students to help us with this goal by word of mouth, social media, or by bringing their friends along for a brief shopping trip,” Hatfield said.

Students can bring their student ID and receive up to three items of clothing without having to demonstrate financial need or prove a requirement for the clothing. Wildcat Wardrobe is open on Wednesdays from 3 p.m. to 5 p.m. in Blazer Dining room 250.

The clothing drive ends Feb. 24, with drop-off bins located at  Scovell Hall in the Human Resources Office, at the UK Federal Credit Union on Export Street, the UK MoveWell Gym, and the Gatton Undergraduate Resource Center, Kreppert said.