Could guns be coming to UK’s campus?

Diplomacy grad student Cassidy Henry talks with a student about her views on UK’s concealed carry laws in Lexington, Ky., on Tuesday, October 29, 2013. Henry is the club’s secretary. Photo by Adam Pennavaria

Saadia Akhtar

In the wake of the tragic Marshall County High School shooting last month, which left two dead, Kentucky lawmakers are considering changing gun laws.

House Bill 210 would “allow persons with valid concealed deadly weapons licenses or temporary permits to carry concealed weapons on public postsecondary property [universities] and in buildings controlled by state and local government, except courtrooms and detention facilities.”

Essentially, it would make it illegal for public universities to prohibit people from bringing a concealed weapon on campus, if they have a permit. Kentucky law allows conceal and carry, but currently public universities are exempt from this.

Spokesmen from both UK and the University of Louisville have released statements saying they support the current exemption universities have. However, a University of Louisville student does not support the current exemption. 

What bewilders me is that after the tragic deaths of two high schoolers, Republican lawmakers would want to add more guns into the public sphere- as if that would solve the problem? Do we really want a bunch of people walking around campus with guns?

Recall the shooting at Umpqua Community College that occurred in October of 2015 and left eight dead. That college allowed people to conceal and carry, yet it was the police that stopped the shooter, not another student. In fact, there were students who had a weapon on them, yet remained hidden because they did not want the police to confuse them with the actual shooter.

On the other hand, there are students who would feel safer if they or someone they know was able to have a weapon on campus. People do not want to be “sitting ducks” and many carry it out of protection.

House Bill 210 is currently in its early stages, but to keep track of it you can go to https://legiscan.com/KY/bill/HB210/2018.