Kernel Keep Up: UK hockey, burning couches, Sweet 16 and more

Kentucky head coach John Calipari kisses his son, freshman guard Brad Calipari, during the game against Buffalo in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday, March 17, 2018, in Boise, Idaho. Kentucky defeated Buffalo 95-75. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Spring break is over. Sorry.

Weeks until finals: 6

Here’s all the news you need to know to tackle the week ahead:

Must-reads this week:

‘Fraternity of brothers’: Inside UK hockey’s culture change

• Take a peek inside UK hockey’s locker room and its sweeping season-long culture change.
  • “It’s a whole new team, a whole new attitude, whole new type of focus that I haven’t seen in the three years that I’ve been here,” said senior defenseman Aaron Bickle. “I’m honestly blessed that I can finish up my hockey career on this note.” 

Stray couches, flammable materials to be removed ahead of Thursday’s UK Sweet 16 game

• Lexington is preparing for Thursday’s potentially clandestine celebrations ahead of UK’s Sweet Sixteen game. Police said that potentially hazardous materials will be removed from the State Street area ahead of and during the game. The area will also see heavy police presence. 

‘UK Band Guy’ reflects on the 24 hours after his moment of fame

• Hayden Hooper, a UK band member and Kernel assistant opinions editor, became an internet sensation last week after ESPN cameras caught him at UK’s first round game enthusiastically cheering on a Sacha Killeya-Jones dunk. Here’s how he became “UK band guy,” in his own words.

The inside scoop on Nick Richards’ inside out socks

• Freshman forward Nick Richards has some interesting footwear habits.
  • “When I was in high school, this guy that – me and him were really close friends, and he wore his socks inside out, so I just figured why not just do it,” Richards said. 

Final Four favorites

Unexpected weekend makes UK a favorite to make Final Four

• The Cats take on Kansas State in Sweet Sixteen play at 9:37 p.m. on CBS.
  • Wanna go? You’re in luck. The game’s a bit closer this time. It’s in Atlanta.

Bat Cats get the broom over the weekend from fifth-ranked Arkansas

• The No. 5 Arkansas Razorbacks completed the sweep of the No. 4 Kentucky Wildcats in a doubleheader on Saturday at Baum Stadium in Fayetteville, Arkansas. 
  • The Razorbacks outscored the Cats 39-15 on the weekend.

A decade in the making

• Student consulting group, Grehan Associates, starts up after 10-year anticipation.
  • Real world experience is exactly what the 11 students who are a part of Grehan Associates are gaining. The students are a part of three account teams that work on marketing, public relations, design efforts and reaching out to possible clients. 

From a Small Town, Cruising Through the Big City

• Heading to New York for the first time? Our travel blogger details what it’s like to take in the allure of the big city.

Happening this week:

• Tuesday, Karyn Olivier, will be the first of two artists to present a concept of the art that she is proposing to be in the Memorial Hall vestibule. According to UKNOW, the selected art is expected to have “dialogue with” the controversial Ann Rice O’Hanlon mural currently in the main lobby. Memorial Hall @ 3 p.m.
  • Wednesday, Between Laughter and Tears, a round table where popular local writers discuss the First Amendment’s role in modern society, and how journalists and comedians affect each other’s work. William T. Young UKAA Auditorium from 7 to 8:30 p.m.
  • Also Wednesday, the Delta Sigma Theta sorority will be having a panel discussion on African American women in male dominated fields. Whitehall 234 @ 6:30 p.m.
  • Saturday, the Lexington March for Our Lives will take place at the Fayette County Circuit Courthouse. The march will be held in concert with a national march protesting gun violence in schools. Fayette County Circuit Courthouse @ 4 to 6 p.m.