“Girls Trip” comedian is coming to UK

Tiffany Haddish will be performing at the Singletary Center for the Arts on March 26.

Kamilah Williams

Stand-up comedian Tiffany Haddish will give a stand-up comedy routine to UK students and the Lexington community on March 26.

Haddish was most recently seen starring in the comedy movie “Girls Trip” alongside Queen Latifah, Jada Pinkett Smith and Regina Hall. “Girls Trip” had the highest rated opening for an R-rated comedy in the past two years.

Haddish is also has a memoir, “The Last Black Unicorn,” which was released in December 2017. It debuted at number 15 on The New York Times Best Seller list.

Haddish and her siblings grew up in the foster care system where they were temporarily separated from each other. Haddish used comedy as a way to cope with being in situations with new people.

She made history on Saturday Night Live by becoming the first black female stand-up comedian to host the show in its 43 seasons. Some may also remember her from the Jimmy Kimmel Show, where she talked about taking Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith on a Groupon Swamp Tour.

Student Activities Board President Libby Langlois said SAB took a poll and got lots of feedback from “students wanting Tiffany Haddish.”

This is part of the SAB spring comedian series that happens each spring semester. This is a way for students to have a fun night and relax after midterms.

“Students can expect a good laugh and jokes from Tiffany Haddish in a good stand-up routine,” Langlois said.

SAB brings more than 60 entertaining, enriching and educational programs annually that are reflective of current trends and issues to the UK. These programs are designed to enhance the college experience for students, faculty, staff and the greater Lexington community.

“Tiffany Haddish coming to Kentucky is a big deal,” junior Deja Brown said. “SAB is putting in a great effort to show more diverse artists. And who wouldn’t want to see Tiffany Haddish?”

Student tickets are sold for $10. Students are allowed to get up to four tickets with a valid student ID for each ticket. Tickets for the general public went on sale March 14 for $25. Tickets for the general public can be bought online on the Singletary Center for the Arts website  or at the Singletary Center on the night of the event.

The event will be Monday, March 26 in the Singletary Center at 8 pm.

To learn more about the Haddish event, go to SAB’s website, Twitter  or Facebook.