Ways to save money for spring break

Via+Photospin.%C2%A0

Via Photospin. 

Bailey Suiter

College students may not have the most money, but they still go on spring break.

Spring break tends to sneak up on college students every year. Right when some students hit rock bottom with their finances, they find themselves planning a trip they’re not even sure they can afford.

UK students can take their financial questions to the Student Financial Wellness Center on the third floor of Patterson Hall. Andy Espelage, the coordinator of Financial Wellness for MoneyCATS, said that students often come in seeking assistance on how to fund spring break or even study abroad trips.

“Usually, students come in because they’re unsure of how to budget their money. We sit down with them and help them to create and follow a budget that meets their individual needs,” Espelage said.

There’s also the option of making money through a job, even if it’s part-time.

“We suggest that students pick up weekend jobs. Uber is popular among students,” Espelage said.

According to Espelage, college students often spend a large percentage of their money on fast food, entertainment and going out.

Alison Dawes, a sophomore studying Integrated Strategic Communication, said she has been refraining from going out to eat to avoid spending the money that she has earned. Dawes will travel to New Orleans, Louisiana, and Miami, Florida, for spring break and said she has been trying to make money a different way.

“I’ve been selling old clothes and bathing suits to girls in my sorority. Sometimes I post them on Facebook groups tailored to selling clothes, like UK Sorority Swap,” Dawes said.

There are multiple websites where old and used clothes can be sold, such as Poshmark, which is a fashion platform that allows people to buy and sell clothing. The company does take a percentage of the seller’s earnings. However, sellers can charge more per item than they would be offered by a consignment store like Plato’s Closet.

For students who have an income but are unsure of how to save that money, creating a budget would be ideal.

Morgan Sanders, a sophomore studying special education, is utilizing a budget to fund her spring break trip to Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

“I started a separate bank account and put my savings into it, so I’m not tempted to spend it,” Sanders said.

Although this may seem like a no-brainer, students may otherwise find themselves purchasing items they don’t need.

Sanders is not only using a savings account to fund her trip, but she also avoids spending her money on luxuries and makes sure to compare the prices of necessities before purchasing.

Regardless of whether students are looking for quick cash or a budget to follow in order to pay for an upcoming trip, there are an abundance of opportunities and resources to assist them.