Wenyen Gabriel opts to stay in NBA Draft

Kentucky sophomore forward Wenyen Gabriel attempts a three during the game against Buffalo in the second round of the NCAA tournament on Saturday, March 17, 2018, in Boise, Idaho. Kentucky defeated Buffalo 95-75. Photo by Arden Barnes | Staff

Kernel Sports Staff

Wenyen Gabriel, the 6-7 UK basketball forward, has declared his intent on Wednesday to remain in the 2018 NBA Draft, effectively ending his UK basketball career.

Gabriel, one of the two rotation sophomores on the Cats’ 2017-18 roster, averaged 6.8 points and 5.8 rebounds during the season. The other rotation sophomore, Sacha Killeya-Jones, has already announced his transfer to North Carolina State.

The Sudan native’s most memorable game was during UK’s second game of the 2018 SEC Tournament, where he shot 100% from three in seven attempts during a double-digit victory over Alabama.

Gabriel joins Hamidou Diallo, Kevin Knox and Shai Gilgeous-Alexander as the UK players from last year’s team that will definitely be turning pro. Only Jarred Vanderbilt has yet to make a decision, which he’ll announce before the midnight deadline on Wednesday.

UPDATE: Vanderbilt has opted to remain in the NBA Draft.