Out with the old, in with the new: Businesses surrounding campus continue to change

Girlsgirlsgirls Burritos on the corner of South Limestone and Avenue of Champions in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Jordan Prather | Staff

Jade Grisham

After years of campus construction and progression, UK students and employees are going to notice an array of new businesses on and around campus since last semester.

UK has had exponential development on campus the past few years. Whether it be new residence halls, classroom buildings or a new student center, Wildcats are getting used to the continuous growth on campus. But around campus, there are a wide range of new businesses opening and some that have closed its doors.

One of the newest businesses is The Hub. The Hub is near where widely beloved Blaze Pizza once stood, but students, don’t fret– DanceBlue points can be earned at Blaze Pizza’s newest location at The Summit at Fritz Farm. 

“It would be more advantageous for Blaze to appeal to students on campus, rather than The Summit, a lifestyle center who appeals to a wealthier market,” said Nora Danahy, a UK junior and a former frequent Blaze Pizza customer. “It had a great location with affordable prices for a personalized pizza – sounds like the perfect mix with college kids to me.”

The Hub is the office for the new six-story student apartment complex that is currently undergoing construction on 685 South Limestone St. However, this apartment complex is different. The building will include 190 apartments with 574 beds and more than 11,800 square feet of commercial space on the ground floor, including a Target. UK students are expected to be the primary tenants of the development. The building is expected to open the summer of 2019.

Another beloved business, Noodles & Company, closed due to lack of business when students were off campus. However, a new yet familiar restaurant has opened in its place, Girlsgirlsgirls Burritos. Girlsgirlsgirls Burritos moved from its old location connected to Best Friend Bar located on 500 Euclid Ave.

Two more off-campus businesses closed, Smashburger and Firehouse Subs, which were both connected to CenterCourt development on South Upper. New businesses are to be opened, but those are currently unknown.

The latest closing was one of the campus favorites, Jimmy John’s, which closed its doors on May 10, 2018. The business is now are referring its customers to its other locations on Euclid Avenue, Waller Avenue, Mill Street at Main and Main Street at Rose.

“I am returning to UK after a semester abroad and was looking forward to coming home to some of my favorite restaurants. I’m quite perplexed as to the mass number of closings. I’m disappointed because it was an easy spot to meet with friends because of its proximity,” said UK sophomore Molly Gamble.

Crumzz Bar and Grill opened at the end of the spring semester. It is a relaxed bar and grill located on South Limestone, right next to Girlsgirlsgirls Burritos. Although it is a bar, it is a good place for students to hang out and grab a bite to eat before they start asking for I.D.’s at 10 p.m.

One of the newest restaurants that has opened is Tandoor Express. Located next to the Kroger on Euclid, this restaurant is an Indian and Asian fusion with a full bar and patio. Students can catch UK’s games on one of the restaurant’s multiple TVs.

It is safe to say that Lexington isn’t stagnant as it is continuously changing and providing more opportunities for citizens to enjoy their day-to-day lives.