Women’s soccer goes scoreless in SEC home opener

Freshman Abby Steiner (22) slipping through two opponents. University of Kentucky women’s soccer received their first loss of the season against University of Wisconsin on Sunday, August 26th, 2018. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Abbie Long

UK women’s soccer was back on their home turf in the Bell Soccer Complex on Thursday night for their SEC home opener against Florida, but the Cats fell to the Gators 6-0.

UK had been on a two-game losing skid coming into Thursday night’s match after last weekend’s road match-ups against Missouri and Lipscomb.

Forward Tanya Samarzich was back in the starting line-up for UK for the first time since tearing her left ACL, ending her season just five games into the 2017 season. Fortunately, the injury occurred early enough and she could redshirt for the remainder of the season, and return to the team to finish her senior year.

“I feel like with me being back in the starting line-up I bring more energy to the team,” Samarzich said.

Despite having one of their offensive leaders back in starting line-up, UK failed to score against Florida. They have yet to score a goal in conference play this season.

The first Florida goal came in the 14th minute from senior midfielder Lais Araujo, off an assist from senior forward Mayra Pelayo. This was Araujo’s second goal of the season. Araujo would go on to score two more times, in the 24th minute and again in the 32rd minute.

In the 45th minute senior forward Alyssa Howell scored the fourth goal after an assist from freshman midfielder Cassidy Lindley.

The second half didn’t go much better for the Cats. In the 65th minute Florida’s fifth goal was scored by sophomore forward Madison Alexander.

With 10-minutes left in the match Pelayo scored off a wide assist from junior midfielder Sammie Betters, Pelayo’s first goal of the season.

This loss puts UK at 4-7 on the season and 0-2 in SEC play, putting them in last place in the overall SEC standings.

“This was a tough loss, but it was also a learning experience,” Samarzich said. “We’re a really young team and we have a lot to learn. We will watch film and do everything we can to improve on this game and see what we can do against South Carolina.”

Up next for UK is a trip to Columbia, South Carolina, for a late Sunday afternoon match-up. Game time is set for 5 p.m.