Women’s soccer continues to struggle in SEC play

University of Kentucky women’s soccer played for their 3rd straight win of the season against Morehead State on August 23rd, 2018. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Abbie Long

With five of their starters sidelined with injuries, UK women’s soccer suffered their fourth straight loss to No. 14 ranked South Carolina on Sunday afternoon in Columbia.

The Gamecocks scored three first half goals in less than 30 minutes and left the Cats with no answers.

Junior defender Grace Fisk scored first for the Gamecocks in the 11th minute off an assist from freshman midfielder Selma Sol Magnusdottir. This was Fisk’s first goal of the season.

A big change came for the Wildcats in the 19th minute. Freshman goalkeeper Hannah Leonard, who has started at goalie all season for the Cats, was issued a red card, forcing her out of play for the rest of the game.

Second string goalkeeper, freshman Payton Woodward, substituted in for Leonard.

In the 22nd minute, goal number two came from junior defender Tatum Milazzo with the assist from sophomore midfielder Lauren Chang. Just 6-minutes after the third and final South Carolina goal came from Sol Magunsdottir.

Senior forward Tanya Samarzich and junior forward Foster Ignoffo were the only two veteran players to start for the Wildcats this afternoon, the other nine players in the starting line-up were freshmen or sophomores, a season-high.

The Cats still remain without a single goal in conference play, and this loss puts UK at 4-8 on the season and 0-3 in the SEC play.

Next up for the Cats is a Friday Night Lights game against the Tennessee Lady Volunteers. Game time is set for 7:30 p.m. at the Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Ky.

The Vols are currently ranked at No. 19 in the top 25. They’re 2-1 in SEC play, and 8-1-1 on the season, coming off a 1-0 win against Mississippi State.