Kernel staffers recognized as finalists for national journalism awards

Arden Barnes (left) and Rick Childress pose for a photo outside the Grehan Journalism building on April 26, 2018. Photo by Bailey Vandiver | Staff

Jacob Eads

Two Kentucky Kernel staffers are finalists for national awards recognizing excellence in student journalism.

Kernel news editor Rick Childress was recently named a finalist for the Associated College Press’ “Reporter of the Year” award.

Kernel art director Arden Barnes is also receiving recognition as a finalist in the Associated College Press’ “General News Photo of the Year” category.

This is Childress’ second year serving as the Kernel’s news editor. He is being acknowledged for these three stories:

“I’m really honored by being nominated. It’s a really big tribute to the professors here and the staff that we’ve had around,” said Childress. “The Kernel is really an amazing opportunity. A place where a journalism student can do the work of a professional… it’s really amazing.”

Barnes is serving in her first year as the Kernel’s art director. She previously worked as the photo editor in the 2017-18 academic year. She is being recognized for her photo of the August 2018 Solar eclipse.  

“As much as this award has my name on it, it’s really more of a win for the Kernel,” Barnes said. “We all did some really great work last year.”

The rest of the staff and advisers who inhabit the Kernel had nothing but kind things to say about the two nominees.

“I’m proud of both of them as I am of all the students who work for the Kernel, and that they’re continuing a rich tradition of some of the best collegiate journalism in the country,” said Kernel adviser Ryan Craig. “I hope we have many more next year.”

The winners of each award will be announced at the Associated Collegiate Press’ annual convention in October 2018.