Spring Cleaning: Let’s get rid of night classes

A student passes Whitehall Classroom Building in the evening. Photo taken by Matt Hasty. 

We need to make sure that required classes are offered during the day too, not just at night.  

You hear it all the time out of college students: “I hate night classes,” “I wish I can go home and sleep” and “Why are my classes held at night instead of the day like normal classes?” 

Plenty of classes at UK that are held in the evening hours. One known example is CHE 105, a general chemistry course that is at the freshmen level. A section of CHE 105 runs from 6:00 p.m. to 7:15 Mondays and Wednesdays with a recitation on Mondays starting at 5:00 p.m. and ending at 5:50 p.m.  

When exams are given, students are required to stay on campus from 8:00 p.m. to 9:15 p.m. 

This is ridiculous. Students are forced to stay on campus for this chemistry class for two hours and 15 minutes on Mondays. I can’t imagine when a recitation, class and an exam happen within the same day. If that occurred, students would be in this class for four hours and 15 minutes. Not only is it subjecting students to endure hours of lectures, but it could present mental and physical dangers as well.  

An example of a potential physical danger is walking home late at night after this class is over and facing potential attacks or harassment. While UK has precautionary measures in places for people walking home at night (such as UKPD personally escorting you across campus), it still doesn’t address the people who live off campus in nearby apartments on campus.  

With sexual assaults, robberies and other crimes happening in Lexington, it could save lives and prevent attacks if UK would abolish night classes starting after 5 p.m.  

As for the mental side, alertness is not necessarily on the night class student’s side. Not falling asleep during class is a real challenge, especially if you also have morning classes that same day.  

We need to have enough teachers on campus so that students are not required to take necessary classes at night. While night classes are certainly advantageous for non-traditional students, there should be enough options so that a student is not required to take a class at night if he or she does not want to or do not feel safe doing so.