What to do before leaving for winter break

Kernel Opinions Sig

Sarah Halsey

Christmas Break is approaching once again, but there is still a lot to do before it arrives. We only have a couple of weeks left to this semester, which will fly by with all the last-minute assignments students have. There are many things to do on campus, too. In no particular order, here are a few suggestions of things to do on campus before Christmas Break:

1. Crush your finals. This should go without saying, but I’m going to say it anyway. Schoolwork should always be a top priority. That’s why we’re here: to learn. Do not let the cold weather or the date on the calendar be an excuse to slack off in school, as tempting as that may be. 

2. Treat yourself. Just because finals are hard doesn’t mean you should be miserable. There are many great food places on campus to eat. Reward yourself for all of your hard work this semester with something you don’t allow yourself to get during the semester. You have earned it. From Chick-Fil-A to Starbucks to Einstein Bagels, you have plenty of campus food options that provide a cozy and relaxing space. Find a way to use positive reinforcement like this to motivate you to finish the semester strong.

3. Go to SAB’s Crunch Brunch. Brain breaks are very important. The Student Activities Board (SAB) puts on an event called “Crunch Brunch” every semester during finals week. It is totally free for students and includes breakfast food, inflatables, massages, a dance party, t-shirts, games and more. This is a great way to wind down from the busy semester and get into a relaxed mood for winter break. 

4. Go to CSF’s Midnight Pancakes. The Christian Student Fellowship (CSF) offers free pancakes to students every single Friday night at midnight throughout the semester, with extended nights during finals week. CSF will offer pancakes at midnight to students the Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights of finals week. Don’t miss out on the chance to relax with some friends and enjoy free pancakes. 

There are many great things to do between now and Christmas Break. Focus on school and finish strong, but don’t forget that school does not define you. There are important things in life other than your grades. Enjoy the remainder of the semester and have fun. Take advantage of the many things available to do on campus before Christmas Break.