Classes canceled for Jan. 30, with forecasted low of 5 degrees

People walk in front of White Hall on UK’s campus on Tuesday, Jan. 29, 2019. The temperature was in the teens or low 20’s for most of the day Tuesday. Photo by Michael Clubb. 

Kernel News Staff

Classes will not be in session on Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019, according to a UK Alert issued on Tuesday evening. 

“Classes are canceled and business operations for the University of Kentucky campus will be closed Wednesday, Jan. 30, 2019,” the alert read. 

UK HealthCare, meaning the hospitals and clinics, will be on normal operating schedules, while other university employees are operating on a Plan B (designated) schedule. 

In a message to the campus community, Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration Eric Monday said the closure is due to weather. 

“Current predictions are for bitterly cold temperatures and dangerous wind chill levels that are expected to last throughout much of the day tomorrow,” he wrote. “Such conditions significantly increase the potential for frostbite with even limited exposure.” 

His message urged those who are able to stay inside. He said the administration anticipates classes and operations resuming as normal on Thursday.

“Even though cold temperatures will persist, wind chill levels are currently predicated to lessen, lowering the risk of exposure,” she said. 

The message also included the following email with information about what will be open on campus tomorrow: 

• Gatton Student Center will operate on normal schedule from 6 a.m. to midnight
  • Alumni Gym and Johnson Center will operate from noon to 5 p.m.; Lancaster Aquatics Center will operate from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m.
  • Transportation – campus bus routes will operate; parking lots will be in off-peak patrol status.  
  • William T. Young Library and other library branches will be closed.
  • Following UK Dining locations will be open:
    • Fresh Food Company:  open 7am -10pm
    • Papa Johns @ The 90: open 11am – 8pm
    • Wildcat Pantry @ The 90: open 11am – 8pm
    • Starbucks in WTY Library: open 9 am – 8pm
    • Chick-fil-A: open 9am – 8pm
    • Champion’s Kitchen: open 7am – 10pm
    • Wildcat Pantry (Steak n Shake): open 11am-8pm
    • Starbucks KY Clinic: open regular hours

Other dining facilities will be closed Wednesday.

Fayette County schools had already been canceled for Wednesday earlier in the day.