Cats look for 10th straight win in series with Ole Miss

Freshman guard Ashton Hagans, Sophomore forward Nick Richards, Sophomore forward PJ Washington, Freshman guard Keldon Johnson, Freshman guard Tyler Herro (left to right) walk down the court together. No. 4 ranked UK men’s basketball team defeated Arkansas 70-66 at Rupp Arena on Tuesday, Feb. 26, 2019, in Lexington, Kentucky. Photo by Michael Clubb | Staff

Madison Dennis

After the Kentucky Wildcats took a loss to the Tennessee Volunteers, the Wildcats are hoping to bounce back on Tuesday with a win against Ole Miss. 

Ole Miss currently stands with a record of 19-10, after their second consecutive loss against Arkansas. In the SEC, their record is 9-7. 

Standout Ole Miss guard Breein Tyree ranks in the SEC in scoring (18.3) and free throw percentage (83.2 percent), he sits in 3rdin the SEC. He also ranks 5thin field goal percentage (48.4 percent) and seventh in three-pointers made (2.2 per game) in the conference. 

Guards Breein Tyree and Terence Davis have become the highest scoring duo in SEC play, averaging 34.3 PPG combined. Together, they both are averaging 44.4 percent of the team’s scoring this season. 

“You see the experience that they have of going through the battles at this level in this conference so it’s a challenge especially on their home court because they play extremely well at home” Kentucky assistant coach Tony Barbee said.

Without Reid Travis, for a consecutive four games, the team will have to find a way to fill his position. The Wildcats are hoping to learn from the loss against Tennessee and to improve defensively.

“I expect our guys to bounce back in this next road trip” Barbee said. 

Keldon Johnson is excited for the opportunity for him and his teammates to compete for their 15thwin in the last 17 games.

“We just gotta come together and lock in like we usually do” Keldon Johnson said. 

Kentucky took victory in their last meeting earlier this season. This matchup is the 120thmeeting between the two teams, Kentucky winning 106 of those 119 games. A UK win would be the 10thin a row in the series with Ole Miss. 

“It’s going to be a war and they know it and their team will be ready,” Kentucky head coach John Calipari said. 

The teams are set to tip-off at 9 p.m. at The Pavilion in Oxford, Mississippi and will be broadcast on ESPN.