Keldon Johnson submits name for 2019 NBA Draft

Kentucky freshman guard Keldon Johnson celebrates a basket during the game against Auburn on Saturday, Feb. 23, 2019, at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Kentucky. Kentucky won 80-53. Photo by Jordan Prather | Staff

In addition to teammate PJ Washington, freshman forward/guard Keldon Johnson has decided to declare for the 2019 NBA Draft. Johnson’s decision was announced via Kentucky Basketball’s Twitter page. 

Per release, Johnson can sign with an NCAA-certified agent, receive feedback and still have the ability to return to school if he chooses, under new NCAA rules. He will have until May 29th to make his decision on whether he will stay at Kentucky or remain in the draft. 

Johnson started for the Cats in 36 of 37 games, averaged 13.5 points per game and 5.9 rebounds per game. The freshman shot 46.1 percent from the field and 38.1 percent from three while making 45 3-pointers on the season. 

“Keldon is a gym rat who has improved in all areas this season,” UK head coach John Calipari said in a press release. “Keldon has the athleticism, physique and skill set to compete at a high level in that league. His ability to make people around him better and his willingness to share and be a great teammate is what will set him apart when he goes through workouts.”

“This season was everything I dreamed of and more when I decided to come to Kentucky. I wish we could have played a few more games, but it doesn’t take away from the special memories we made. Thank you to the Big Blue Nation for your support and love through this important time in my life,” Johnson said. 

Johnson was named SEC Freshman of the Year and he was also named to the All-SEC Freshman Team and All-SEC Second Team. He also won SEC Freshman of the Week honors three times this season.