UK students jam out quietly with SAB’s Silent Disco

DJs played music that could only be heard in the headphones of those dancing at the UK Student Activities Board’s silent disco on April 20, 2019, in the Gatton Student Center in Lexington, Ky. Photo by Luke Peddicord

Luke Peddicord

A silent but lively event in the Gatton Student Center Grand Ballroom happened on Saturday night. UK’s Student Activities Board hosted Silent Disco for students to try a unique but exciting way to dance and listen to music with friends.

This year was the fifth time the SAB put on the event, originating in the fall of 2017. The organizer for the past three silent discos has been sophomore Zach Gaubert, a finance and marketing major who is director of concerts for SAB.

The event, originally set for Barker Plaza, had to be moved to the Student Center because of inclement weather. The goal of the event was to give students an opportunity to have a good time with friends and listen and dance to music with fellow UK students.

“[We] want to continue to expand the event,” Gaubert said. “Obviously, it being the night before Easter can be tough, but [we] wanted to give students who stayed on campus something to do. It’s the fifth time we hosted. It’s really just making a staple of the UK community, something the students can look forward to each semester.”

The event gave students a variety of music to silently jam out to. The night included two DJs making mixes of popular rap and rock music, even including Disney soundtracks. SAB offered winnable prizes for students to take home, including Beats headphones.

“It was really well organized,” Mohammed Seif, a chemical engineering senior, said. “They also set up an arcade on the side which was nice, and they were spot on with the headphones.”

The event also included giving students free glasses and other props to try and make the experience even better of a time. Students enjoyed free food including a nacho bar and ice cream.

Holidays can sometimes leave students who stay on campus with nothing to do. But Silent Disco gave these students a relaxing night of music, dancing and fun with friends.