Parks chosen as next Kernel editor; Courtney as next KRNL editor

Natalie Parks, left, and Rachael Courtney will be the 2020-2021 Kentucky Kernel and KRNL editors-in-chief, respectively. 

Sydney Momeyer

The Kentucky Kernel and KRNL have named their 2020-2021 editors.

On March 6 the Kernel board named Natalie Parks the next Kernel editor-in-chief and Rachael Courtney the next KRNL editor-in-chief.

“I feel the Kentucky Kernel board of directors made great choices in selecting Natalie and Rachael to lead the Kentucky Kernel and the KRNL fashion and lifestyle magazine,” said Student Media Adviser Ryan Craig. “They will continue the tradition and quality of both publications. I look forward to their leadership and ideas for the coming academic year.”

Parks is a current sophomore at UK majoring in english. She is a native of Knoxville, Tenn., where she attended Bearden High School.

“I’m honored to be given this opportunity and I’m excited to join the tradition of the Kernel, and I look forward to learning and growing alongside the staff next year,” Parks said.

Parks originally started writing for the Kernel her freshman year, and after covering her first State Street story, knew this was something she wanted to stick with. For the last year, she has been the assistant news editor.

“I knew I had to stick with it for those kinds of moments,” she said. 

As editor, Parks plans to lead the staff in more enterprise stories and branch more into video-related content. 

Courtney is a sophomore majoring in merchandising apparel and textiles. Though she is a sophomore, she will be graduating next year.

She is also from Tullahoma, Tennessee, where she attended Tullahoma High School. 

Courtney started writing for KRNL her second week of freshman year. She knew about KRNL coming into college after she had picked up the magazine on a visit to campus and flipped through it. 

“Reading through it, I was impressed by it and wanted to be involved,” Courtney said.

At first, didn’t have a position on staff and just filled in as needed. She eventually became managing editor of KRNL, and now editor-in-chief.

“Rachael joined the KRNL staff as a freshman during her first week of school,” said KRNL design adviser May May Barton. “Her commitment to KRNL is unwavering. Her positive attitude and optimism will be invaluable to the team. She will be a fantastic leader and has an incredible group of students to work with.”

As for her plans for KRNL, she intends to expand the lifestyle portion of the team. She said wants to do more staff retreats, as she feels a closer staff leads to more mutual respect for one another, and ultimately, a better magazine.

“I’m very, very excited,” she said. “I love our team and I cannot wait to see how our magazine looks next semester. The magazine changes and grows every semester, so I am excited to see how it turns out with me leading the team.”