Women’s Tennis 7-0 after shutout effort versus WKU

Akvile Parazinskaite yells during fall competition.IMAGE OBTAINED BY UK ATHLETICS

Hunter Shelton

The wins are starting to pile up for Kentucky’s women’s tennis team, as they now stand at 7-0 after cruising past the Western Kentucky Hilltoppers 7-0 this afternoon.  

Doubles play once again went the Cats’ way, as the dynamic duo of Akvilė Paražinskaitė and Fiona Arrese bested WKU’s Cora-Lynn vonDungern and Lisa Friess 6-2. Lesedi Jacobs and Salsa Aher weren’t far behind, closing out the point by defeating Lauren Joch and Tristan Bryant-Otake by a similar 6-2 margin. 

Arrese quickly added another point in singles play. The freshman from Barcelona, Spain defeated Bryant-Otake 6-2, 6-2 to double the Kentucky lead.

Aher, another freshman, was next to claim victory for UK. She beat Samantha Martinez 6-1, 6-0, rebounding nicely in her first match since suffering her first singles loss of the year versus Marshall on Thursday. 

Not to be outdone by the undergrads, Paražinskaitė – a graduate student – officially notched the win for Kentucky, besting vonDungern on court one 6-1, 6-3. Paražinskaitė is undefeated in both singles and doubles play so far this season.  

Court three provided the match of the afternoon, featuring two juniors from Spain: UK’s Carla Girbau and WKU’s Laura Bernardos. Girbau came into the match with a 5-1 singles record, opposed by 2-1 Bernardos. Girbau claimed the first set with ease, taking it 6-1. Bernardos answered with a strong showing, grabbing the second set 6-3 to force a third set tiebreaker. Girbau was able to outlast Bernardos in the final frame, getting the point behind a 1-0 (10-4) finish.  

Making her season debut, Diana Tkachenko followed along in victory with her teammates. The fifth-year student out of Moscow, Russia defeated Alexis Cramer, 6-2, 6-2, picking up from right where she left off last season.  

Maialen Morante improved her singles record to 4-0 to complete the sweet for the Cats, as she beat Freiss 7-6, 6-2. 

Today’s match concluded a nine-day stretch of seven matches to kick off the season for UK. The Cats now have a week-long break before returning to the Hilary J. Boone Tennis Complex on Saturday, where they will take on the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Kentucky’s final non-conference match is set to begin at 11:00 a.m. E.T.