Former Kentucky five-star D.J. Wagner enters NCAA transfer portal

Samuel Colmar
Kentucky guard DJ Wagner (21) waits to be helped up from the floor after fighting for a loose ball during the No. 2 Kentucky vs. No. 7 Texas A&M men’s basketball game in the SEC Tournament quarterfinals on Friday, March 15, 2024, at Bridgestone Arena in Nashville, Tennessee. Kentucky lost 97-87. Photo by Samuel Colmar | Staff

Former five-star recruit D.J. Wagner became the latest Wildcats to enter the transfer portal on Monday.

Wagner did so after head coach John Calipari opted to leave Kentucky to take the head coaching position at Arkansas.

Wagner committed to Kentucky as a highly touted recruit, being the number one combo guard in the country out of Camden High School, where he played with fellow Wildcat Aaron Bradshaw.

Facing nagging injuries throughout the season, Wagner wasn’t able to truly rise to his maximum potential, averaging 9.9 points, 1.9 rebounds and 3.3 assists per game while shooting just over 40% from the field.

His best game came early in his Kentucky tenure on November 11 in the Cats’ historic 118-82 victory over Marshall, dropping 28 points. The performance came just one game after he set his previous career high of 22 against St. Joseph’s.

His career at Kentucky would end on a low point however, with the New Jersey kid scoring zero points in the Cats’ NCAA Tournament loss versus Oakland.

Now, having decided to enter the portal after the hiring of new head coach Mark Pope, it appears as though Wagner, a third generation talent, will finish his collegiate career elsewhere.

View Comments (1)