Kentucky five-star Jayden Quaintance asks to be released from national letter of intent, reopens recruitment

Jayden Quaintance. Photo sourced from Instagram: qjay_21

Following the departure of head coach John Calipari, incoming freshman five-star recruit Jayden Quaintance requested to be released from his national letter of intent to reopen his recruitment on Wednesday.

The news was reported by Eric Bossi of 247Sports and ESPN’s Jeff Borzello.

Many fans had gotten excited at reports that Quaintance may be willing to stay in Lexington following Calipari’s departure, but the five-star out of Word of God Christian Academy in Raleigh, North Carolina, extinguished those hopes.

Quaintance received offers from SEC foes in Missouri and Florida, while also receiving interest from Ohio State and South Florida before ultimately committing to Kentucky on Nov. 14, 2023.

The North Carolina native reclassified to the class of 2024 and will be required to play two years of amateur basketball before being allowed to enter the NBA Draft due to the requirement of draftees being at least 19 years old.

Quaintance was the second Kentucky commit to reopen their recruitment after Karter Knox did the same on Monday. Billy Richmond, Travis Perry, Somto Cyril and Boogie Fland have not made public decisions at this time.

View Comments (1)