Severe weather causes damage across Lexington

This story has been updated as of April 8, 2024 at 4:12 p.m.

After damage from strong winds and heavy rainfall across Lexington and surrounding areas, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear has declared a state of emergency on April 2.

Storms and the possibility of large hail and tornadoes are expected to continue until 10 p.m., with a high chance of damaging winds, according to a campus-wide email from UK Police.

@kykernel Seek shelter immediately. A tornado warning has been issued for the Lexington Area by the National Weather Service until 10:00 AM. According to UK Spokesperson Jay Blanton, campus and class status “is unchanged at this time.” “We will be updating campus if there are any changes. We are closely monitoring the weather and will be communicating throughout the day.” #severeweather #storm #tornadowarning #severe #weather #kentuckykernel #universityofkentucky #kentucky #lexington #brycetowle ♬ original sound – Kentucky Kernel

“We have reports of substantial damage to a number of structures – and thankfully, as of right now we are not aware of any fatalities,” Beshear said. “We need all Kentuckians to stay weather aware as we brace for more severe weather throughout the afternoon and evening.”

Beshear has additionally activated the Kentucky Emergency Operations Center in Frankfort to provide forms of support as well as Kentucky’s price gouging laws.

The state’s gouging laws will “protect Kentuckians from overpriced goods and services as they clean up and recover from the storms,and people may report price gouging in the state to the Office of the Attorney General.

Multiple vehicles have been damaged by fallen and uprooted trees, as well as collapsed power lines and boxes near the University Avenue area. Streets remained blocked in the area of State Street, Crescent Avenue and University Avenue.

Lexington city workers are actively clearing the areas of natural debris.

Power outages have been reported across the state of Kentucky with an estimated 10,684 Kentucky Utilities’ customers still out of power.

According to their website, “crews are responding safely and as quickly as possible to storm related outages across the service area — particularly in the Lexington area where the most damage occurred.”

The company is also recommending people to report and keep their distance from any downed lines.

Around 9:30 a.m., the University of Kentucky sent out a tornado warning advising all students to seek shelter. However, after many trees fell, students wondered why class wasn’t canceled earlier. Video by Giana Gallo.

The National Weather Service issued a tornado warning for the Lexington area at 9:35 a.m. advising people to take shelter. The warning lasted until 10 a.m. as emergency conditions were said to have passed.

At 12:04 p.m. all in-person classes at or after 12:30 p.m. were canceled, according to UK Alert.

@kykernel The University of Kentucky was under a tornado watch yesterday until 10 a.m. Here’s what students had to say about the weather and the result of the storms. #severeweather #storm #tornadowarning #severe #weather #kentuckykernel #brycetowle #universityofkentucky #kentucky #lexington #classcancelled @Bryce Towle ♬ original sound – Kentucky Kernel

A tornado watch was in effect until noon, according to the National Weather Service, with severe weather expected to be at its peak between 2-10 p.m.

In case of emergency sheltering, UK Police recommended in a campus-wide email for people to shelter in place in the nearest building, if possible, “in an interior room with few or no windows and doors to the outside.”

A University of Kentucky student is knocked down by gusting winds and rain near Patterson Office Tower in the first round of storms that swept through Central Kentucky this morning. Original video by Ethan Ferry.

This story will continue to be updated as more information arises.