Kentucky baseball rises seven spots to No. 17 in week eight D1Baseball Top 25

Sydney Yonker
Kentucky infielder Nick Lopez scores at home during the Kentucky vs Lipscomb baseball game on Friday, Mar. 1, 2024, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky, Kentucky won 7-4. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff

Kentucky baseball (24-4, 8-1 SEC) made the biggest jump of all teams in the week eight D1Baseball Top 25 by climbing seven spots to No. 17.

The Wildcats went a perfect 4-0 on the week, beginning with a midweek comeback victory over Miami (OH) by a score of 9-5 before hitting the road for a weekend series with the Ole Miss Rebels.

The Bat Cats found a way to win game one by a score of 5-3 before their relentless offensive approach resulted in a 17-9 game two win and a 15-1 game three win for the first ever sweep in Oxford in program history.

Kentucky outfielder Ryan Waldschmidt celebrates at second during the Kentucky vs Lipscomb baseball game on Friday, Mar. 1, 2024, at Kentucky Proud Park in Lexington, Kentucky, Kentucky won 7-4. Photo by Sydney Yonker | Staff (Sydney Yonker)

The Wildcats are one of the 10 teams in the SEC that can be found throughout the rankings.

The Arkansas Razorbacks remained at No. 1 after a 4-0 week that began with a midweek win over Little Rock and finished with a three-game weekend sweep of the LSU Tigers.

Two spots behind at No. 3 are the Texas A&M Aggies, who moved up one spot in the rankings. The Aggies had a 4-0 week that began with a victory over Houston Christian before Auburn came into College Station for a weekend series and were swept by the Aggies.

The Tennessee Volunteers were next to represent the SEC at No. 4, moving one spot up in the week’s rankings. The Vols defeated Tennessee Tech before welcoming the Georgia Bulldogs into Knoxville. The Bulldogs took game one, but the Volunteers bounced back and took the final two games and the series to finish 3-1 on the week.

Remaining in the No. 6 spot was the Florida Gators, who went 2-2 on the week. Their week began with a loss to Florida State before they took two of three against Mississippi State.

Also staying put at No. 7 was the Vanderbilt Commodores, who finished 4-0 on the week. The Commodores took down Valparaiso in a midweek matchup before sweeping the Missouri Tigers at home.

After a small break, the Alabama Crimson Tide entered the rankings at No. 13, moving up three spots from last week’s rankings. The Tide finished 3-1 in a week that began with a win over Belmont and ended by taking two out of three against the South Carolina Gamecocks.

Right behind the Wildcats at No. 18 was the LSU Tigers. The Tigers had the biggest fall in the week’s rankings, falling 10 spots from No. 8 due to a 1-3 three weekend where the Tigers bested SE Louisiana before being swept on the road by Arkansas.

Moving down four spots to No. 22 in the week’s rankings was the South Carolina Gamecocks, who finished 2-2 on the week. After a midweek win over Presbyterian, the Gamecocks dropped two of three on the road against Alabama.

The final conference representative was Mississippi State, who came in at No. 23, dropping two spots from last week’s rankings. The Bulldogs finished 2-2 on the week with a midweek road win over Samford before dropping two of three on the road against Florida.

New to the rankings in the week were Nebraska and UCF, who replaced Oklahoma and Kansas State.

A full list of the rankings can be seen below:

1. Arkansas Razorbacks (23-3) 
  2. Clemson Tigers (24-3) 
  3. Texas A&M Aggies (25-3) 
  4. Tennessee Volunteers (24-5) 
  5. Oregon State Beavers (21-4) 
  6. Florida Gators (16-11) 
  7. Vanderbilt Commodores (23-6) 
  8. Dallas Baptist Patriots (23-4) 
  9. Duke Blue Devils (20-8) 
  10. North Carolina Tar Heels (25-4) 
  11. Virginia Tech Hokies (21-5) 
  12. East Carolina Pirates (20-6) 
  13. Alabama Crimson Tide (21-7) 
  14. Florida State Seminoles (22-4) 
  15. Virginia Cavaliers (22-6)
  16. UC Irvine Anteaters (22-3) 
  17. Kentucky Wildcats (24-4) 
  18. LSU Tigers (20-9) 
  19. North Carolina State Wolfpack (18-7)
  20. Coastal Carolina Chanticleers (20-7) 
  21. Wake Forest Demon Deacons (17-10) 
  22. South Carolina Gamecocks (21-7) 
  23. Mississippi State Bulldogs (19-10) 
  24. Nebraska Cornhuskers (20-5) 
  25. UCF Knights (18-7)