UK President Capilouto disagrees with proposed DEI and tenure legislation bills

University of Kentucky President Eli Capilouto informed students and faculty of two bills currently proposed concerning diversity, equity and inclusion (DEI) and faculty tenure in a campus-wide email. 

The email was released Wednesday, Feb. 14, following the passing of Senate Bill 6 a day prior in a 26-7 vote, which is now headed to the House for further consideration. Capilouto also informed students and faculty of his opposition to House Bill 228 that is currently in the House Education Committee for review. 

Senate Bill 6 aims to bar public universities from requiring students and faculty to explicitly state ideologies or political beliefs when applying to said university, any promotions, hiring purposes, contract renewal, tenure or graduation. The bill also prohibits the university from inquiring about any student or faculty member’s political or social ideologies. 

“The truth is that our world and our state are changing. We are growing more diverse. Indeed, we  must, if our state is to grow economically,” Capilouto said in the email. “We should embrace that change and harness the opportunities it presents, not shrink from it.”

According to House Bill 228, by Jan. 1, 2025, all state universities and technical college boards must enact a performance evaluation process for all members of the institution’s faculty. 

The bill would, “require faculty evaluations be completed at least once every four years; permit removal of faculty for failure to meet performance and productivity requirements, regardless of status,” House Bill 228 said. 

After he acknowledged recent concerns raised in Frankfort, Capilouto said in his email that he disagrees with legislative proposals and fears how the bills will impact the “UK-PURPOSE” strategic plan and campus community. 

“Let’s not stop in our efforts to bring to our campus the best and brightest because they are different, don’t feel they belong or perceive that only certain questions and thoughts are permitted because they are too conservative or too liberal, because they are people of faith or who have no faith at all,” Capilouto said.